Gummy Smile Treatment in Derby
Fill out the form below for a free, no obligation consultation.
Treatment Time 45-60 Minutes
Recovery Time Immediate or 24 Hours Estimated*
Price From £300
Gummy Smile Treatment
Gummy smiles, also known as excessive gingival display in medical terms, are when your smile is too full and gum tissue is visible above the top teeth.
Gummy smiles are not defined by medical professionals. Gummy smiles are largely based on perception.
Studies have shown that excessive gingival display is not a problem. Most subjects considered smiles attractive if less than two millimetres of gum tissue was visible. The smile was deemed gummy at three millimetres and more. This condition is more common in women than it is in men.
Gummy Smile Causes
Gummy smiles are not considered medical conditions, but we can discuss the reasons for them. These causes all have to do with the smile aesthetics of the mouth, teeth, jaws, gums, and lips.
Gummy smiles are most caused by:
- Teeth that look short but are partially covered by gum tissue
- Genetics are responsible for small teeth compared to their gums.
- A lower lip too short to cover the gums
- A normal length upper lip when the face is at rest, but too long when smiling. This exposes a lot of gum tissue.
- Gingival hypertrophy is an enlarged gum tissue.
- Maxillary excess is an overgrowth of the upper jaw, which causes gums to bulge out.
Gummy smiles are usually genetic and there is nothing you can do about it.
Gummy Smile Treatments
There are many options for correcting a gummy smile depending on the cause.
Orthodontic appliances can sometimes fix excessive gingival display if the root cause is mild and not caused by problems with the jaws or teeth. It is possible, for example, to move the bite in the proper position and make the gums less prominent by using the right appliances.
Veneers or dental crowns are another example. These can be used to make the top set of teeth look longer or improve the ratio tooth-to-gum if the teeth are too short because of wear or genetics.
If the cause of a gummy-smile is a severe or moderately severe jaw protrusion, treatment might be more complicated and may require surgery. There are several options for invasive treatment:
- Gingivectomy is the removal of excess gum tissue and the reshaping of the remaining teeth to reveal more.
- Crown-lengthening surgery is a procedure to extend the crown of the tooth when they haven’t fully erupted. It involves removing gum tissue and/or bone to expose more tooth. This allows the gums to reposition themselves.
- Upper jaw surgery is performed in severe cases.
- When the excess gingival display is caused by a hyperactive or short upper lip, it can be done with lip repositioning surgery.
Botulinum Toxin Type B Injections
Botulinum toxin type B injections might be the best option for you if your gummy smile isn’t fixed with orthodontics.
Botulinum toxins temporarily paralyze the elevator muscles. This means that your upper lip will not be raised dramatically when you smile. This can be used to evaluate your results before you have surgery.
Botulinum Toxin Type B: Fixing a Gummy Smile
Botulinum Toxin injections can be used as an alternative to more extensive surgery for severe gummy smiles.
Botulinum is administered under local anaesthesia above the smile at the Yonsei Point intersection of three muscles. Botulinum temporarily denerves the elevator muscles, causing the upper lip to lift excessively and exposing too much gum tissue.
It takes approximately one hour to complete the procedure with little downtime and side effects. The results last for approximately three to four months.
Runway Aesthetics patients who are worried about their gummy smiles often tell us that it makes them feel less attractive and self-conscious.
Runway Aesthetics can help you explore the possibilities and resolve your gummy smile. Runway Aesthetics offers a wide range of cosmetic dentistry services that improve the appearance of your teeth, gums, and bite. She can also provide non-invasive aesthetic treatments for gummy smiles.
Consult with our Derby Clinic today!
BEFORE & AFTER – Guaranteed Results!
Prices are indicative. Get a personalised quote for Gummy Smile Elimination Treatment by booking a free consultation with our handy online booking service.
We recommend Gummy Smile Elimination Treatment for the best results.
We offer Gummy Smile Elimination Treatment services for clients travelling from Derby, Nottingham, Leicester covering the whole of East Midlands.
|Treatment||Single Treatment From|
|Gummy Smile Elimination Treatment||£100.00|
Arrange a FREE Consultation
One of our friendly Runway Aesthetics advisors will contact you to answer any questions you may have and help you on your journey.
- Qualified medical experts
- An NHS Partner organisation
- Rated Excellent by our clients
- Due to Covid-19 we have additional health and safety measures put in place to protect our teams there may be a delay in getting back to you