All About Wrinkles & BOTOX®
Botulinum toxin can be used to treat wrinkles. BOTOX®, a trade name for a product manufactured by Allergan, is the trade name. The toxin is very safe and small in non-surgical aesthetic. The toxin can be used to reversibly weaken the muscles that are responsible for dynamic wrinkles, which are lines that form when you animate your facial features.
Static wrinkles refer to lines that are visible at rest. They do not respond well to Botulinum Toxin, and can be treated best with Dermal Fillers.
What types of wrinkles can be treated?
Botulinum Toxin can treat three types of wrinkles.
Patients who are exposed to too much sun or have excessive muscle activity often associated with frowning will see a lot of Frown lines (Glabellalines). Frown wrinkles, which are vertical lines, can indicate anger or anxiety. These types of wrinkles can cause people to frown more often than usual. This may be a sign that they are not happy with their work or relationships. Botulinum Toxin can successfully treat frown wrinkles, which are vertical lines.
Horizontal lines between the eyebrows, the hairline and the forehead are the signs of forehead wrinkles. These wrinkles form when facial expressions convey emotion such as surprise and empathy.
Eye wrinkles/Laughter lines (Crow’s Feet)
Periorbiltal wrinkles, also known as Crow’s Feet wrinkles, are located in the outer corner and can be seen when smiling or laughing. Crow’s Feet wrinkles can be caused by excessive sun exposure and skin becoming less elastic as we age.
The UK’s best BOTOX(r), Aesthetics Clinic – Come and See Us!
12 reasons we think we are the best BOTOX®, clinic in the UK
- All clients receive a comprehensive facial assessment and consultation from a team of specialists in aesthetics.
- We only use the best products, such as BOTOX(r), AZZALURE, and JUVEDERM.
- A full range of cosmetic treatments are available, including BOTOX(r), wrinkle treatments, cheek fillers and lip augmentations, sweating treatments, chemical skin peels, and more.
- We are based in Derby serving the whole East Midlands.
- Our clinic offers BOTOX(r), which can be combined with the amazing anti-ageing treatment called APRP, or Autologous Platelet Rich Plasma treatment. Also known as the “Vampire Facelift”, it is available at our clinic.
- All treatments are performed by GMC registered, fully qualified doctors who have specialised and are members of BCAM (the British College of Aesthetic Medicine).
- We offer regular discounts and special deals for our clients.
- Gift voucher schemes in place.
- With a rating of 5/5 on Google, excellent client testimonials and reviews. Our aesthetic medicine clinicians have many years of experience. This will help you to make informed decisions.
- You can have your clinic on Saturday, or you can go to the evening and late night clinics any day of week.
- DOCTOR-led service.
Botulinum Toxin is injected into muscles to temporarily relax them by blocking nerve impulses. The nerve impulses are temporarily blocked, so the muscle can’t contract for a while. Dynamic wrinkles are therefore not formed. This results in a more youthful, smoother appearance for the facial skin.
Is Botox®, a safe treatment?
Botulinum toxin is a muscle relaxant with a good safety record. It has also been used in medicine for a long time. It has been successfully used in a variety of medical conditions, both in children and adults, over the past 20 years. It has been used to treat facial lines for over 15 years.
Who can get Botox®.
Both men and women can use BOTOX®, but men may need to take slightly more than women.
It shouldn’t be used in:
- Patients with an infection at the injection site.
Botulinumtoxin type A injections have caused allergic reactions in people who have had previous experiences.
- People who have muscle problems or chronic conditions affecting their muscles such as Myasthenia Gravis and Eaton Lambert syndrome.
- Children below the age of 18
- Breastfeeding or pregnant women.
- You should use it with caution
- If you feel the following applies to your case, please let your doctor know.
- Patients at high risk of bleeding due to the increased likelihood of bruising after a procedure. This includes people with blood clotting conditions such as Haemophilia and those taking anticoagulant medications such as Warfarin or Heparin. Gingiko Bilboa and Vitamin E are some herbal remedies.
- Patients with excessive weakness or wasting of the muscle, such as patients with Bell’s palsy or Stroke history, should not be injected.
- Chronic breathing problems:
Is the Injection Painful?
BOTOX®, injections can be performed with a fine needle and are very painless. The injections are painless and require no anaesthesia. The entire treatment takes approximately 15-20 minutes and you can drive home and go to work that same day.
What is the duration of the effects?
After the initial treatment, it can take between 2-14 days for the full effect to be seen. Cosmetic effects can last for up to six months, but usually take three to four months. Most people will need to re-treat as new wrinkles appear. Some areas, such as frown lines, may not return as severe as before treatment. This is because the unconscious muscle contraction habit has been broken.
Are there any side effects?
Most people find that the injections cause only mild local pain and tenderness. Immediately after the injection there may be mild swelling at the injection site which usually subsides within 48 hours. It is possible to experience slight bruising. These treatments have very few side effects. Sometimes, treatment can relax nearby muscles causing temporary drooping or drooping in the eyebrows and eyelids. It may last for several weeks, but it will eventually go away. Although allergic reactions can occur with any medication, they are very rare. Some people may experience unintended benefits, such as an improvement in tension and headaches due to relaxation of the muscles around the forehead.
What are the best times to have treatments?
After the BOTOX®, injection is finished, the wrinkles will return to the pre-treatment state. The effects of BOTOX® injections can be repeated at least three times per month, although some people may experience longer lasting results, particularly if previous treatments have been done in the same area.
Do I still have a smile on my face?
BOTOX®, which is a treatment that smoothes dynamic wrinkles around the eyes and forehead, does not alter your facial expression. Each patient can have a customized result that can be discussed during the initial consultation.
Which aftercare advice should you follow?
To allow the toxin into all the muscle, contract them for at least four hours.
Do not rub or touch the injection sites. Avoid facials and massages for 48 hours. This is to ensure that the treatment does not leave the injection site.
For 48 hours, avoid vigorous exercise or drinking alcohol.
Arnica cream can be applied to bruising.
Paracetamol can also be used for mild pain after a procedure
All clients are welcome to have a FREE consultation without obligation with a doctor.